Clock displayed in antique shop
EN Welch time and strike parlour clock displayed in an antique shop

In a previous article I described some of the challenges I had with this E.N. Welch clock movement.

The clock ran for about 48 hours and suddenly stopped. It seems that every time I think everything is going well, something else crops up.  I dis-assembled the movement (again) and installed three more bushings, one of which is on the escape wheel bridge which I noticed had a fair amount of play. Perhaps the vertical motion of the EW was causing the clock to stop. The other two bushings were installed on the third wheel, back and front. I have decided to hold off addressing the EW teeth if the bushing work I have done has solved the stoppage issue.

I was hoping to wrap the servicing up fairly quickly but unanticipated problems continued to crop up. Having completed the work mentioned above I could see that things were beginning to change for the better.

Washer around centre cannon
Shortly after taken from the case. A very dirty movement with many issues

The time side ran strongly for eight days after which I reinstalled the strike train. Here is the movement running on a test stand.

Cleaned, bushings replaced and tested
Cleaned and free of rust, bushings installed and tested

Setting up the strike side required manipulating some of the lever wires which were moved out of position by the previous owner, for whatever reason. A previous repair/adjustment resulted in the lifting levers bent back into the case and the count lever pushed in an upwards orientation. As a result I had to bend the levers back into their original positions.

Levers
From left; hammer lever, count lever, lifting lever

Here is the movement installed back into its case.

E. N. Welsh Whittier model
E. N. Welsh Whittier model

It should now run reliably for years to come. A frustrating project with a satisfying ending.