Tick Talk Tuesday #28 – What’s it for? The double ended key

Tick-Talk Tuesday is about the letters and comments I have received from you, the reader, concerning your clock, issues you might have had, challenges you face or a clock you would like me to profile or my responses to your questions with advice on your particular clock concern. For those comments and questions that stump even me, I consult within my clock circles for the best possible answer
Double-ended keys
Double-ended keys

TD says,

“Hi Ron,  I’m TD.  I purchased a Gilbert Clock from an antique store in xxxxxxx, Wis.  It’s a Gilbert Tambour style mantel clock model 2041. It’s marked “Normandy Chime 2041.”  The question I have is what is the keyhole under number 12 for?  The clock sat in the store for a long time, that is till it found ME.  I have a thing for old clocks. I feel they’re a living thing and it’s a shame if they’re not ticking away as long as they’re able to. Just like Us!”

Gilbert mantel clock 1925, small arbour below the 12 is for regulating the clock
Gilbert movement
Gilbert movement, the top centre is the regulating mechanism

My response,

Hi TD,

I have a Gilbert tambour 2038 with Normandy Chime which is similar in some ways. Look at the key that came with your clock. It should be doubled ended one like this one.

The small end fits into an arbor just below the “12”. This is for regulating the speed of your clock. You might see an “S” and an  ”F” above the 12. Turning the key clockwise speeds up the clock and counterclockwise slows it down. If you have only a single-ended key, it is the wrong type for your clock although it will wind it up.

I also have a thing for old clocks. Be careful it is addictive.

Hope this helps.”

Whoops! Should have been published on Tuesday. My wife caught the error this morning.