A few changes have taken place since I last posted but the clock is still not 100% correct.
Some changes to note. The bottom right finial was repaired.
To the casual observer it looks impressive but a keen eye would reveal the repair. The middle finial is not attached as yet as there are still some minor cosmetic details that need to be addressed before I attach it to the base.
This past week I had contacted a local glass repair shop to make and install new 3 mm glass. Thicker than I thought but true to the original that is, if the glass that was broken was truly original. I say this because the glass shop noted that the previous glass was installed using finishing nails the shape, style and size of which would not have been available at the time (1902). So, putting new glass into the clock may not change the value since the glass that was broken during shipment was likely not original.
The movement was given a thorough cleaning and oiling including a nice polish to the plates. As all the striking levers are on the front plate they were very simple to re-attach. Re-assembly of the gears is quite easy compared to North American clocks I have worked on. No fiddling with levers and helper wires between the plates. Overall, the parts are of a very high quality as one would expect from the maker, Gustav Becker. There was no evidence of worn bushings or any other troubling areas and I did not see any other work required for this movement other than the obvious missing parts. Ultrasonic cleaning, pegging and polishing the pivots and cleaning the plates was all that was required. All parts are back in the clock save the star wheel lever and the hammer assembly which I do not have.
The above image is pulled from an online source. My apologies to the author of the photo. This GB Braunau movement shows the star wheel / snail gear which I am missing on my movement.
The movement below shows mine without the star wheel (bottom centre), and that is how I received it. I later received a “replacement” star wheel from the seller but unfortunately is does not fit. It might be from a later Braunau movement or a Silesia one, I am not sure. I am not going to force it, it really does not fit. The Braunau movement that I ordered online has not arrived as of this date but my hope is that I can interchange the parts that I am missing. We will see.
There are several other issues with this movement. As mentioned, there is no rod and hammer which is an obvious problem because without it the clock will not strike. It is my hope that the replacement movement will have one that I can adapt to my clock.
The next issue is the pin on the gathering pallet. The gathering pallet rotates to advance the strike rack. Despite straightening the pin on the pallet it still does not want to engage. My thinking is that the pin is either too short for whatever reason or that a piece of it likely snapped off at some point in the clock’s life. Again, I might be able to take a good one off of the replacement movement.
I also received a replacement dial bezel in the mail which is a definite improvement over the one that was dented in shipment. You can see the damage on the original bezel below.
Lastly, I have ordered 0.80 mm brass cable to replace the cat gut and a number 1 regulator crank which also did not come with the clock.
At this moment the time gears are working fine, the clock is ticking away and it actually tells the time.
All in all it has been an interesting project so far and some very good learning on my part.